Ransomware means big business for the bad guys.
- Ransomware you need to be ready now!
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is the new digital shakedown that bad guys use to steal your hard earn money. They leverage sophisticated computer viruses or direct email attacks to trick you and your users into downloading a computer virus that will lock or encrypt all of your computer data and render your business helpless. They will hold your data hostage unless you pay a ransom.
But I use a computer antivirus?
The bad guys or hackers you are dealing with it are not high school kids looking for a thrill. Some are state-sponsored criminal organizations that leverage the latest technology that renders anti-virus programs useless. By the time the attack occurs less sophisticated anti-virus has yet to update the latest virus signature from previously known attacks.
But I am a small business what do they want with me?
Your money! They know exactly how much a company of your size grosses and are accommodating enough to ask you just enough so you will pay the ransome.
Do I really need to pay the ransom?
YES! Multi-Billion Dollar compaines that have dedicated IT security teams pay the ransom to save time. When you have over several hundred servers to restore data, time is not on your side and your business will suffer.
What do I need to do?
You must plan for a strong techincal defence by:
- Having your IT staff or technology team prepare a business contintuity plan that includes a Rasomware attack recovery or response plan.
- Train your users on the latest IT security best pratices and train them to be suspicious of certian types of phishing attacks that will trick them into downloading a virus.
- Invest in the latest secutirty tools to help alert you when suspicious traffic occurs in your network.
- Invest in the best data recovery systems to ensure your data is backed up and secure offiste and tested by restoring your data as frequent as your IT budget allows. Some attacks are silent and destroyed your backups without you knowing unless you can restore data to prove data integrity.